Virtually everyone can benefit from having an estate plan of their own. Why? Without your own plan the state of Oklahoma will control how your assets are distributed after you pass away. Of course, the government is not interested in making sure your wishes are carried out, minimizing costs and streamlining the distribution of assets to loved ones.
Having a plan of your own can also ensure that a person you trust is able to make financial and medical decisions on your behalf if you become incapacitated. Without a plan, someone will petition the court to make these important decisions for you—a person you might not want to have this authority.
An estate plan can also help you accomplish a variety of other goals, including:
- Protect your assets against creditors, lawsuits and other potential threats
- Substantially reduce estate, gift and other taxes
- Pass your values and work ethic on to heirs
- Keep information about your family and financial affairs private
- Protect your heirs’ inheritances against divorce and creditors
- Leave a lasting legacy
- Achieve the peace of mind that comes from having a plan in place for the future
At Rischard & Carsey, PLLC we will take the time to get to know you on a personal level so that we can gain a thorough understanding of your goals, concerns and hopes for the future. We will explain all of your planning options in plain English and answer all of your questions. Only then will we create a customized plan to address your particular needs and goals. We can also work with you in the future to make sure your plan takes into account changes in your life and changes to the law.
We welcome the opportunity to meet with you in person. Contact our Oklahoma City estate planning attorney today for a consultation.